THIS IS AN AWESOME PRINT OF ONE OF THE BEST BALLPARKS IN ALL OF BASEBALL MARKED DOWN TO $14.99 BUCKS FROM 34.99!!
WRIGLEY FIELD, THE HOME OF THE CHICAGO CUBS!
Also Known As:Chicago White Stockings (1870-1889), Chicago Colts (1890-1897), Chicago Orphans (1898-1901)
Stadium: Wrigley Field
World Series Titles: 1907. 1908
NL Pennants: 1876, 1880, 1881, 1882, 1885, 1886, 1906, 1907, 1908, 1910, 1918, 1929, 1932, 1935,1938, 1945
About Chicago Cubs and Wrigley Field:
The Cubs are the only team to play continuously in the same city since the formation of the National League in 1876. The other surviving charter member of the National League, the Braves, has played in three cities: Boston, Milwaukee and Atlanta.
The first permanent concession stand in baseball was built here in 1914. The custom of allowing fans to keep foul balls hit into the stands started here, as did the custom of throwing back home runs hit by opposing players. “Take Me Out To the Ballgame” has been sung (off-key) thousands of times by venerable announcer Harry Caray (1914-1998), and countless fans have watched the game from the porches and rooftops of the houses on Waveland Avenue (behind the left-field fence) and Sheffield Avenue (beyond right field).
After 5,687 consecutive day games played by the Cubs at Wrigley, the lights were finally lit on August 8, 1988, for a game with the Philadelphia Phillies, That game was rained out after three and a half innings, and the first official night game took place the following evening against the New York Mets. The Cubs won, 6-4. Lights had actually been placed in the ballpark for installation in 1941, but Wrigley instead donated them to a shipyard for the war effort the day after Pearl Harbor. In the late 1980s, however, Cubs management insisted that the team was in danger of leaving Wrigley if lights weren’t installed, and Major League Baseball threatened to make the Cubs play postseason games at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.
The only remaining Federal League ballpark, the Federals/Whales played here from April 23, 1914, to October 3, 1915.
Beautiful ivy vines on the outfield wall.
Flags with Ernie Banks’s uniform No. 14 and Ron Santo’s uniform No. 10 fly from the left-field foul pole. A flag with Billy Williams’s No. 26 flies from the right-field foul pole.
After each game, a white flag with a blue “W” flying from the center-field flag pole signifies a Cubs win, a blue flag with a white “L” a Cubs loss.
Site of the 1990, 1962 (II) and 1947 All-Star games.
Wrigley is affected by wind conditions more than any other major league park. Breezes off Lake Michigan favor pitchers, but winds blowing toward Lake Michigan take homers with them.
The only park where it’s more difficult to hit a homer down the foul line than to hit one 50 or so feet out in fair territory, because the bleachers protrude into the outfield.
The 27-foot-high, 75-foot-wide scoreboard was built in 1937 by Bill Veeck. Its top is 85 feet above the field. The 10-foot-diameter clock was added in 1941.
Ivy was planted on the outfield walls in 1937 by Bill Veeck, originally 350 Japanese bittersweet plants and 200 Boston ivy plants.
During the 1937 season the outfield bleachers were expanded to their present size, and the six gates in the brick wall were replaced. Originally red, they were repainted green in the eighties.
The famous “Bleacher Bums” were formed here in 1966 by 10 fans.
An 8-foot-high, 64-foot-wide batters’ background wire fence stood on top of the center-field wall from June 18, 1963, through the end of the 1964 season. It was called the Whitlow Fence because Cubs Athletic Director Robert Whitlow put it up. The screen prevented 10 homers, 4 by Cubs and 6 by visitors and 1 each by 500-plus homer hitters Ernie Banks and Willie McCovey.
More home runs than usual are caused by the park’s relatively high altitude of over 600 feet above sea level and by the heat involved in playing so many day games. Foul-pole screens have distances marked on plywood vertically: ‘355’ and ‘353.’
The Cubs made changes to their ballpark before the beginning of the 1999 season to honor two of the their legendary broadcasters, both of whom had died the previous year. A seven foot tall statue of Harry Caray was erected at the corner of Addison Street and Sheffield Avenue near Gate D, and Jack Brickhouse’s trademark “Hey, Hey” was placed above the distance markers on both foul pole screens.